Get Help Florida - Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Get Answers > Medical

Ask a Librarian


Quick Links: Insurance | Financial | Legal | Crisis | Prescriptions | Doctors | Dental | Child | Illnesses/Conditions | Seniors


How do I find out if I am eligible and where to apply for Medicaid?

You can determine your eligibility for Medicaid at the Department of Children and Families and you apply for it on a different section of the site.

How do I apply for Florida Healthy Kids?

You can apply for Florida Healthy Kids at their site.

How do I find out if I am eligible and where to apply for Medicare?

You can determine your eligibility and get enrollment information by using the Medicare Eligibility Tool located on their site.

How do I go to find out about COBRA benefits and my eligibility?

You can read about COBRA benefits on the United States Department of Labor site.

How do I find information about Social Security eligibility and applying?

You can determine your eligibility and get enrollment information for Social Security at the site.

How do I learn about veterans' medical benefits?

The Department of Veteran Affairs has several resources:

You can apply for VA benefits.

You can read a guide about VA benefits in Florida.

You can read a comprehensive guide to all national benefits.

You can find a VA center near you.

Financial (Return to Top)

How do I purchase assistive technology and get help with the costs?

Find out at Florida Alliance for Assistive Services and Technology (FAAST)

How do I get help with food?

There are multiple resources for food:

You can find a food bank in your county.

You and your family may be eligible for WIC (Women, Infants & Children) assistance. Here is a list of offices by county.

If you have children, the Summer Food Program can help to find locations near you from the Florida Department of Education.

How do I apply for food stamps?

You can apply for food stamps on the Department of Children and Families site.

Legal (Return to Top)

How do I get death, birth, marriage, and divorce certificates?

You can get those certificates through the Florida Department of Health.

How do I file a healthcare complaint?

You can file a healthcare complaint through the Florida Department of Health (scroll down on the page for contact information).

How do I find out about closed complaints filed against a healthcare business, organization, doctors, specialists, or dentists?

You can find closed complaints provided by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation.

How do I find out if there is a ranking system for healthcare plans?

The National Committee for Quality Assurance provides a tool that gives grades for healthcare plans.

How do I see what I need to be a licensed human care professional?

The National Association for Regulatory Administration (NARA) has that information.

Crisis (Return to Top)

How do I call if I am a victim of abuse?

The Child Welfare Information Gateway has information for all sorts of abuse. Go to the Florida Department of Children and Families to file an online report for abuse.

How do I find assistance if I was the victim of a crime?

The National Center for Victims of Crime provides assistance or you can call them directly at 1-800-394-2255.

How do I get help if I am contemplating suicide?

You can call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255) or visit their website.

How do I find a Red Cross near me?

The Red Cross has a location search by zip code.

Prescriptions (Return to Top)

How do I get help paying my prescription drug costs?

You can sign up for the Official Florida Discount Drug Card program or compare prescription drug prices through the Agency for Health Care Administration site.

How do I find out if I can still get prescription drug cost help if I am on Medicare?

You may be eligible for prescription drug help while on Medicare apply at the Social Security Online site.

How do I get my prescriptions filled during or after a hurricane?

The Florida Disability Rights flyer has that information.

Doctors (Return to Top)

How do I look up a doctor's or specialist's license or profile?

The Florida Department of Health allows you to look up licensing information or profile information.

How do I compare hospitals, offices, doctors, and specialists?

The Florida Health Finder site allows you to locate and compare information about medications, health plans, hospitals, and more throughout the state of Florida.

Dental (Return to Top)

How do I find low-cost dental services?

Dental hygiene college programs are always looking for potential patients, the American Dental Hygienists' Association has a list of colleges and the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) has some suggestions listed.

Child (Return to Top)

How do I find facts and recommendations about immunizations?

The CDC has a schedule of recommended immunizations for all ages, and answers to commonly asked questions about infant immunizations.

How do I find my rights as a patient in Florida?

The Florida Department of Health has the Florida Patient's Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.

How do I learn about first aid for kids?

The Kids Health site has multiple articles on home safety and first aid.

Illnesses/Conditions (Return to Top)

How do I participate in a cancer treatment trial?

The Florida Cancer Trials site has a matching service for you to find trials.

How do I find out the most common diseases and sicknesses for newborns?

The CDC has a list of common diseases and sicknesses that afflict infants and toddlers.

How do I prevent asthma attacks in my home for my child?

The Environmental Protection Agency has tips to prevent home asthma attack.

Seniors (Return to Top)

How do I find out what benefits I am eligible for if I am a senior on fixed or limited income?

The National Council on Aging has a benefits eligilibility tool.

How do I find housing or an assisted living facility near me?

There are a few resources depending on the type of housing you're looking for:

The Florida Housing Search has a list of adult family care homes.

The Florida Housing Search has a list of assisted living facilities.

The Alternatives for Seniors site has a list of all kinds of senior housing and care.

Return to Top | Choose a New Topic

*All questions and answers above are a representative sample. While it is not possible to include all potential medically-related questions, we will continue to add more questions, answers, and topics as our E-Government policies evolve.

Florida State Library

If you have any questions about the site, need assistance with E-government, or wish to contact the web master, you can use our contact form or send us an email directly to [email protected] This site has been funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State, State Library and Archives of Florida. © Copyright 2012
Copyright and Privacy Policies | Accessibility Statement | State of Florida | Department of State

Site last updated on January 26, 2013

E-Government in Florida Public Libraries